Wise Woman Alchemy

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Are you ready to be a soulful business woman?

Being a Soul-o-preneur is not for wimps!


Five years ago, I was sitting with friends bemoaning my full-time job and dreaming of being my own boss. I was sure it would be much easier and certainly more lucrative. My friends asked why I would want to do such a thing. They told me things like: "I had a job that most people dream about, what about health insurance, income inconsistencies, and having it run your life." I laughed and continued with my plans for "freedom." For once, no one and nothing was going to stop me.

Fast forward to present day. They were right, to a certain extent. Here's what I've learned: Being a Soul-o-preneurs is not for wimps. And that is no joke! However, if I had known then what I know now, I would have done it anyway. There are just some things you have to learn, and it's a steep learning curve. There's nothing like trial by fire!

Here are some thoughts: 



  • Health Insurance. If you're lucky enough to live in a country where health insurance is covered, where are you, because I want to live there, too. Just kidding. (Sort of) Being a newly self-employed individual in the US with the new health care system has not been an easy task. I've spent more time on the phone trying to get things sorted out. You have to jump through a lot of hoops to prove your income. That's okay. Would I let this stop me? No way! But it is an obstacle that leaves me shaking my head from time-to-time.
     
  • Income Inconsistencies. This is a lot easier than I thought it would be. However, it does come with some anxiety. It's interesting. Every time I come down to..."I don't know how I'm going to pay my bills this month," money shows up. Now, it's become a matter of trusting the Universe, which is very freeing. I pray about it and ask the Universe to send me what I need or something better. I always leave it open for the Universe to work some miracles that I don't know about.
     
  • Your business runs your life. I can see where this could be possible, but not for me. I made a conscious decision when I started this gig that I would not work more than 40 hours per week. I have overridden that mandate from the boss (me) twice and will never do it again.  What I've learned is that every project will fill the amount of time that you give it. Funny how that works. I'm beginning to limit my "working" hours to 30 hours per week to leave time for other passions like baking bread and making kombucha. Could I take it down to less than that? I don't know, maybe.
     
  • You gave up your dream job? Yes and no. By some people's standards I did have a dream job. I wrote, edited, and designed children's books for a living. Yeah, that's pretty kush, but I outgrew the position. The desire to do my own thing weighed on me for many years. I didn't love it anymore. The passion fires had gone out, and it was time to go. What I've learned is that I LOVE what I'm doing now. One of the reasons I limit my working hours is because I would keep working because I enjoy it so much. It just doesn't feel like work.

If your thinking about becoming a soul-o-preneur, here are 15 things to consider:

  1. Do you have enough money saved to tide you over for at least six months, preferably a year?
  2. What will you do about health insurance?
  3. Do you have clients already?
  4. Is there a need for what you want to do?
  5. Can you work at your job as you build your soulful business, maybe part-time?
  6. Do you have the support to go after your dreams?
  7. What is your intuition telling you?
  8. What are your spirit guides telling you?
  9. Why do you want to be a soul-o-preneur? (Hint: if it's for money or fame, stay in your job)
  10. Are you a go-getter? Are you self-disciplined enough to work at home?
  11. Can you see the big-picture as well as the details?
  12. How well do you handle uncertainty?
  13. How well do you handle your own saboteurs, like comparison, self-doubt, procrastination, perfectionism, fear, overwhelm, and
  14. How do you deal with being alone a majority of the time?
  15. What equipment or materials will you need, and do you have the money to fund them?

Here's the thing: If you have a dream, don't let anything stop you. Be aware that working for yourself is tough. It's not for the faint of heart. It takes possibilities, passion, purpose, patience, and persistence. You can read about that here.

If you want to become a soul-o-preneur, but aren't sure how to begin, check out the Wise Woman Society. This is a group of soulful women running their own businesses and helping each other shine their lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment